Efficient dispute resolution
Disputes will be resolved more efficiently and at less cost with the independent State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) becoming the ‘one-stop-shop’ for strata disputes.
- This will replace the existing process where strata disputes can be heard in multiple courts as well as SAT.
- It can be difficult for people to understand which court should hear a case and expensive to engage lawyers and advisors, resulting in many disputes being left unresolved.
Who needs to know?
- Strata owners and tenants
- Strata managers
- Strata council members
All strata disputes will be heard by SAT - an independent tribunal which will be the ‘one stop shop’ for strata disputes.
- SAT is less formal and has more flexible procedures than those used in traditional courts. It is designed to provide a more appropriate and timely means for people to obtain administrative justice.
- Strata disputes will now have a much better chance of resolution, at a faster rate and lower cost.
- Debt recovery (e.g. taking action to recover any unpaid levies) will still be dealt with in the courts.